Sunday 14 August 2011

Preview: On the Chase of the Cubs



This post is a preview for what you can expect to see in my new Wildlife Documentary 'On the Chase of the Cubs.'

The Cubs being Six months old now would be practically fully grown, sexually active and starting to explore new areas to label their territory. So having not seen or filmed the cubs since back in early June. The last time I filmed them was on a Saturday morning but shortly interrupted by Helicopter flying over head which scared back into the bushes.


I was now starting to wonder what has happened to the playful  cubs that I enjoyed watching/filming for hours on end.

I started my journey in mid July while the grass was up to my hip (I'm quite tall too) so I soon realized I not going to have the advantage of spotting the Fox Cubs from a distance and watching them. I would have to put out my trail camera if I would have any hope in filming them.

My first clue about the cubs though came from my neighbor who said that he had seen a small fox across the road at the local park. Maybe they were struggling to get food with out the mother now and had gone in search of an easy option. I went their an set up my trail camera in several different place over a week but ... sadly no footage of a Fox Cub, all I got was a curious cat cheeking out what this device was attached to a tree.

I decided next to head to the local forest, a few fields away where I had filmed the Mother Fox and her Cubs back in May. The Cubs might have moved to there, which wouldn't surprise me with all the pheasants and ducks in the forest. As I set off to the forest in typical British weather it turned from blue skies  to pouring down with rain. Never the less my search for the Cubs wouldn't be stopped by some rain no matter how heavy it was.


When I got to the forest I started looking around to see if their was signs of fresh kills, foot prints or poo. As I looked round the whole forest my search had hit a brick wall again and I was left puzzled where they might be.

With my hope starting to fade of being able to find the Cubs, I was woken up by a noise coming from the field. I opened my curtains and their was ... a tractor cutting the long grass. This was great now I would be able to see a Fox at the top of the field and it wouldn't be hidden by the long grass. As the day drew on, around 7pm my theory was correct, I couldn't believe my eyes. Not one but three Cubs came out the bushes. In the few months I hadn't seen them I amazed how big they had gotten. I couldn't believe in all the places I looked they were right under my nose.



It was great to have to have the experience of watching them again and it was lovely to see they see they were still  as playful as the first day I saw them.



Now over the moon the Cubs were so close to me, the next day I went up top of the field and attached my trail camera to the bush and got these amazing close ups of one the Cubs.

 
  I've had a great time filming and making this documentary and it will soon be posted on my YouTube channel around the end of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment